Alumni Pizza Party
The KFA hosted a pizza party (wOop WOoP) for our KFA cohort and some Lightning Lab Alumni, including Misprint Co., Little Yellow Bird and Sharesies. The alumni shared stories from their respective Lightning Lab Accelerator programmes and also ‘the startup life’. From their stories of stumbles, fails and wins, an overarching lesson appeared: the notion of getting uncomfortable.
The parting message was to encourage the new KFA teams to get out of their comfort zones:
- challenge others;
- embrace being challenged;
- and if you don’t ask the answer is already no.
KFA welcomed some great speakers this week, Finn Lawrence, Jon Davies, and Michael Saywell. They offered insights on efficient working, product-market fit, and consumer complaints.
- Finn, both an innovation specialist at Creative HQ and founding director of Mevo, added immense value to the teams, sharing productivity and time-management hacks.
- Jon Davies discussed the importance of product-market fit and telling an effective story – then shared some insights from companies he believes have ‘nailed it’, such as ProductHQ, AskNicely, and Xero.
- Michael Saywell, an employee at Financial Services Complaints Ltd., rounded out the week with his plethora of industry knowledge and answered many of our teams’ questions about dispute resolutions and the financial services world.
Our belated Valentine’s Day events this week were Mentor and Executive Coach speed-dating, as the teams built their advisory boards one ‘match’ at a time.
Teams gave their elevator pitches, then sat face-to-face for several minutes with each mentor, so they could get to know one another a little better.
Mentors are a unique combination of cheerleaders, taskmasters, and teachers, who meet with the teams once a week, to support and challenge the teams growth and success.
We also had a CEO and Executive Coach speed-date night, for CEOs to find their personal one-on-one coach for the programme to discuss personal development and business leadership challenges.
The Executive Coaches will meet fortnightly with the CEOS to not only to pass on wisdom, but to support and help the CEOs grow professionally and personally.
Who would have thought speed-dating was an effective way to bring passion, expertise and advise together? And it all went down without any thrown drinks or awkward silences.
These are just our top three picks from the week! Can’t wait to hear what else our teams get up to? Sign up to the newsletter here to get updates straight in your inbox.